Monday, August 8, 2016

Mushroom Fairy 07

With the skin tones complete, we're now onto hair and wings.  Since I really want the fairy to stand out as the item of focus, I've decided that her hair should be black. It's not the easiest hair color to create. But here goes. Here she is as we left her last week.

I started with a Cool Grey 30% PC 1061. With light strokes I added that color throughout. This will end up being the highlight areas. 

Then with a Cool Grey 70% PC 1065, I started to color in some of the sections of her hair. As I did this I kept in mind where I thought the shadows would start. 

I moved on to a Warm Grey 70% PC 1056, coloring in additional sections that would be in deeper shadows. Also I added some of this color to some of the sections that were in the lightest color.

At this point I thought that I was loosing some of the definition in her hair. It looked to me like it was just going to be a big mass of grey. Not what I wanted.  So using Black PC 935, I traced back in some of the original lines, so that they could be seen better. 

Now I was able to darken some of the sections even more. I used Cool Grey 70% PC 1065 and worked that in a lot of the hair. 

Then back to the Black PC 935 to bring out more of the definition of her locks.

I'm not sure that I'm finished with her hair just yet. It's okay, just not great. But I think I'll move on to other things right now. First though, I thought she needed just a little more shadow to her skin tones. I used Sienna Brown PC 945. I added just a little in all the shadowed areas of her skin.

Now for her wings. 
I decided that I didn't want her wings to take focus, but I did want them to be pretty. I chose to create them with all the colors that I've used in the mushrooms & her dress. I added Deco Yellow PC 1011 and Sunburst Yellow PC 917 first.

Then a Pale Vermillion PC 921 & Mulberry PC 995.

Then back again with the Pale Vermillion, because I thought another different color would have been too busy. I added a little bit of shadow to the area of her wings closest to her body. 


Just before putting down my pencils for the day, I added just a bit of the Pale Vermillion to the right side of the large mushroom. It was looking a little dull. :-)
All we have left to do are the butterflies. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with them.  I don't want to introduce a new color. But will it be too boring if I stay in the red & orange colors?? hmm....

Thanks so much!!
Happy Coloring!




No comments:

Post a Comment