Monday, August 1, 2016

Mushroom Fairy 06

So, as I promised last week, I'll be doing skin tone today.
Here she is, close up and blank.

The best piece of advice that I can give about skin tones is to make your stokes VERY light to begin with. You can always go back and add color, but with colored pencils, you can't take away color.

I started the process with PC 914 Cream.  It's a nice pale color and fills in the white space nicely. This way the white isn't so intimidating.

Then I used a Light Peach PC 927. Pretty much added that color all over the skin area. Leaving just a little of the Cream color showing on her arm on the right side of the image.

Then I thought I needed to add some shadows. With PC 1080 Beige Sienna, I figured out where the shadows would be (left side of her arms and face - under her hair on her forehead - the underside of her foot.)  and very gently added this color a little at a time.
I thought she looked very sallow after the addition of that last color. So, I pinked her up a little with PC 928 Blush Pink. I added the color to her checks and to her lips, but also just a tiny bit in some of the shadow areas. Following that, I used the Cream PC 914, very lightly, all over the skin areas to blend the colors together a little.


Now back to her face. She needs a bit more definition, a bit more interest. I used a PC 943 Burnt Ochre to add more color to the sides of her face, the area around her eyes and the small area right under her bottom lip. 

If you have questions about where the shadows are on a face, go to a mirror and take a look at your own face. It really does help.

I then went back and forth between the Cream and the Blush Pink, blending the colors in on her face and arms. Then with a little bit of PC 929 Pink & PC 923 Scarlett Love, I colored in her lips.

Finishing off her face, I used PC 1024 Blue Slate for her eyes.

I'm going to stop at this point. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. 
Thanks so much for "watching" and for all your support.
Happy Coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment