Monday, June 20, 2016

Garden Gate 09 Finished!!

As promised, I'm finishing this one up this week.  Here's where I left off last week.

Now on to the moon.


I started with a Cool Grey 30% PC1061. I really wasn't sure about this at first so I used a really light stroke, off in one small section. It did look right, so using the same light stroke, I colored in the whole moon.

Over that I added a bit of Slate Grey PC936 very lightly on the edges to give it that 3D feel.

I added a bit of Cloud Blue PC1025, very lightly, over the whole moon. It had started to look too grey. And the Cloud Blue helped to take the grey down a bit.

Finally I used PC933 Violet Blue all along the edges and filled in the "tips" to enhance the blue even more.


I debated for a long time about the star. In the end, I decided to leave it white.

I added a bit of PC 933 Violet Blue to all the rocks. It helps to bring the colors used in the moon into the whole piece.









Then I used a bit of an illustrators trick and added black lines to the shadow side of all the leaves and grass. It makes them pop off the page.
So here it is finished! 
A lot of folks use methods to blend the pencils and get rid of the "white specks". I don't. I actually like the specks. I think that it helps the depth of the piece. However, if you want to blend them some more, Prismacolor has a blending pencil that you can try. I've tried it, and it helps but not a lot. I've also heard that folks use a bit of vaseline over the pencil. But I have not idea how that is done. I'm sure you can Google it and find out.

 Once I'm happy with a piece, I spray it with a workable fixative.  It keeps the pencil from flacking and making a mess as time goes on.

I use Krylon Workable Fixatif (not a typo). It protects pencil, pastel & chalk drawings from smudging and wrinkling.  It comes in an aresol can. Be sure to spray it outside.

Thanks so much for watching this process. I hope that some of the tips, tricks and hints have helped.

Next week, we'll start on something new!  The Mushroom Fairy from my Enchanted Garden coloring book!

Have a great week! Happy Coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment