Monday, April 18, 2016

Colored Pencil Techniques - 01 TOOLS

Are you ready to start coloring?
Do you have all the coolest tools?
Here are some of the ones that I think are the best.

Colored Pencils! 
They come in a gigantic variety. From simple Crayola pencils that you can get just about anywhere. Even, sometimes at your local grocery store. To the high end of possibilities -  Prismacolor Pencils. To make the decision even more complex, Prismacolor Pencils come in a variety of types. ... I use Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Pencils. They're pretty pricey, but I think worth the investment. Eons ago, I invested in a set. Over the years, I've added to that set a couple of pencils at a time.  I think it's a big advantage, to be able to purchase these pencils individually as I need them. Shop around, prices vary.

Once you've decided what brand to purchase, you then have to decide what quantity size. If you're not sure of the brand, get a smallish set. If you're pretty sure of the brand and style, I suggest a set of, at minimum, 24 to begin with. But you can never have too many colors!! So, splurge a little. Get a bigger set.
 

Container!
You don't actually have to have a special carry case for your pencils. Some of the boxes or tins that the pencils come in work just fine.  My box disintegrated long ago.
If you're going to color in the same place most of the time. Then any bunch of containers, glasses, mugs or whatever, will work well. But, if you're like me and want to be able to indulge your creativity anywhere (the couch, kitchen table, car, train, plane), I suggest buying some sort of carrying case. This way you can pick up and go at a moments notice.


Sharpeners!
When I'm at home, I use an electric pencil sharpener. It make things so much easier. I like the style that has the pencil being inserted from the top. I think that this type sharpens the pencil a whole lot more evenly.  I also use one with an auto-stop.


I also have a manual sharpener that I take on the road with me. I splurged a bit and purchased one made by Prismacolor. It works
great! Gives a nice sharpe tip. It even has a choice of point types.



Miscellaneous!
A nifty little tool, is what I call the extender (pencil holder). As you use your pencils and they get smaller and smaller and harder to hold onto, this little piece of equipment comes in very handy. It lets you get lots more use out of your pencils without cramping your hands.








There are a lot of other nifty tools that you can purchase. But these are the ones that I think you need to get started. OH! Well, except for a coloring book, that is!  Just click the link up there in the right that says - Coloring Books and get one of your very own! Hurry! I'll start coloring this week!
Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment